udev conf

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Thu Mar 18 12:22:57 GMT 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 12:15 pm, nestu wrote:
> Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > Things are a bit messy but here's what I got right now. Kernel
> > 2.6.5-rc1-mm1-beta, no/zero /dev. I have lrmed devfsd. Had to add a
> > S01mount and S02udev in /etc/rcS.d else sysklogd would hang and I got a
> > lot of spawning errors for what I forget.
>
> My box is 2.6.4 right now, and latest kernel-headers-2.6
> (2.6.3.0). I only did what I described in the email a posted
> to lunar ml, I did nothing else. I have lin'ed sysklogd, and
> I have absolutely NP (a patched version, BTW, for 2.6, just
> in case anyone is interested). Did you remember to change
> your kernel conf? I wouldn't play a lot with rc scripts... I
> left them untouched without problems. The more we can keep
> unmodified, the better (specially for updates, that could
> cause a few problems).

If you mean "change kernel.conf" by removing/not selecting devfs, then yes.

I didn't want to mess with rc scripts but couldn't get to log on without.

> > I can't ssh into the box, not sure what's up with that yet.
>
> R U sure /dev/pts is mounted / created ? Is /dev/pts there?
> When you ssh, /dev/pts/0 should be created.

Yes /dev/pts is there but "0" is not getting created.

> > Doing a "ls /mnt/cdrom" as root even works. Though there is some kind of
> > permission problem as a normal user can't use it.
>
> We are currently having a look at the permission problem.
> Just have a look at your entries, and check the group they
> are in for now.
>
> > The box does boot up with some errors. In that I have not remvoed
> > the /etc/rc*.d start scripts (safety net :)).
>
> Absolutely no errors here. We can't help much if you just
> say you have an error, but since you have
> changed booting order, it will be harder to track down, I
> suppose. Please mail your problems.
> CU,
> nestu.

What I meant is, erorrs on boot up are from some of the "standard" scripts
like mount because it tries to do so before udev has a chance to create the
points.
--
Registered Linux user 193414
http://counter.li.org

"Trying"? My contribution was much closer to a "feeble wave in the general
direction of something that might lead you one step closer to a solution
if you squint really hard and do all of the work."