udev conf

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Thu Mar 18 09:20:48 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 05:12 pm, Jeff Hodges wrote:
> Heres a few udev bits and pieces I've found from the udev rpm.  The cool
> thing about this tarball is that it has the udev.permissions and
> udev.rules for gentoo and redhat.  Jaime is going to grab the gentoo
> udev files just in case these are somewhat out of date.  It was a
> udev-022-1 (im betting it has the same patch applied that we do) so it
> IS recent, but im still not sure on it.  These seem to be the best udev
> conf's where going to find.  They are very, very full.  Jaime, Florin
> and I are going to work on compiling these into one uber-config and
> would love some help hehe.
> Later

Things are a bit messy but here's what I got right now. Kernel
2.6.5-rc1-mm1-beta, no/zero /dev. I have lrmed devfsd. Had to add a S01mount
and S02udev in /etc/rcS.d else sysklogd would hang and I got a lot of
spawning errors for what I forget. Here is what my /etc/fstab looks like;

sysfs   /sys            sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc	/proc		proc	defaults	0 0
devfs   /dev            devfs   defaults        0 0
shm	/dev/shm	shm	defaults	0 0
devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	defaults	0 0
usbdevfs  /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs defaults       0 0
/udev/hda3	none	swap	defaults	0 0
/udev/hda1	/boot	ext2	defaults,noatime	0 1
/udev/hda2	/	reiserfs	defaults,notail,noatime	0 0
/udev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	subfs fs=cdfss,ro,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0
/udev/fd0     /mnt/floppy	subfs fs=floppyfss,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,umask=0
0 0
/udev/hdb1 /home	reiserfs	defaults,notail,noatime 0 0
/udev/hdb2 /var    reiserfs        defaults,notail,noatime 0 0

Here is grub;

title   b-2.6.5rc1mm1
kernel  (hd0,0)/2.6.5-rc1-mm1 devfs=nomount idebus=66
root    (hd0,1)

I imagine this would be a little different if /var was on hda but space
dictated hdb. Which may account for some of my gyrations. Have a problem that
I can't ssh into the box, not sure what's up with that yet.

Doing a "ls /mnt/cdrom" as root even works. Though there is some kind of
permission problem as a normal user can't use it.

The box does boot up with some errors. In that I have not remvoed
the /etc/rc*.d start scripts (safety net :)).

--
Registered Linux user 193414
http://counter.li.org

"Trying"? My contribution was much closer to a "feeble wave in the general
direction of something that might lead you one step closer to a solution
if you squint really hard and do all of the work."