gcc/ncurses ETA / Xfree issue

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Feb 19 23:28:38 GMT 2004

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Op do 19-02-2004, om 19:31 schreef nestu:
>
>>Moritz Heiber wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>>2) Xfree 4.4 (rcX)
>>>
>>>Please read up on it at:
>>>http://linuxtoday.com/developer/2004021803026NWDTLL
>>>
>>>So the question is: Are we going to jump on the 4.4 train or not.
>>>Feel free to comment.
>>
>>Just wait. If they don't change, move away from them, and
>>keep the 4.4rc2
>

> I think we should just follow the big guys on this one -- they have the
> lawyers. I didn't actually read the changes, though. It's possible we're
> not affected, because we build from source and don't actually distribute
> xfree. Even then it may be better to follow what everyone else is doing.
>

>>in moonbase. Maybe do some testing on crater's freedesktop's
>>xserver?
>>How far has it gone? Stable enough? driver support? Any
>>other alternatives?
>

> A: not far enough, no, limited, I don't think so.

1) stay away from 4.4 for now, we don't need it

2) I'd love to see a gcc-3.3.3 based iso with new ncurses... it has
already compiled gnome2(.4) completely for me, doing a rebuild now

3) I have a sandbox with xserver, it runs fine under svga (no specific
driver for my card) and is production ready, certainly. Might miss a few
extensions thoug. I think we should push the -cvs module version a bit
so this gets developed better, so whip out nicks modules and try to get
it to work. Driver support seems okay for mainstream, haven't tried
DRI/DRM yet (no idea weather it will work completely)

4) I've so far had 100% success with inserting replacement PREFIX
variables for GNOME24_PREFIX and XFCE4_PREFIX, will persue KDE32_PREFIX
next, I think this feature might not be what desktop users want, but it
sure is what I want on the 30+ desktops that I need to maintain right
now. Since my group is dying to move away from RH I hope everyone will
pick this up and make this SA-feature allround and workable.

sofar

PS did I forget to mention Striker si a dev now? :^o