server move update

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sun Aug 29 16:08:28 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am currently working out the details of the move. Here's the
preliminary schedule:

now-next friday evening:
    make copies and prepare all services etc etc

friday evening:
    unplug ALL SERVICES. website might be up etc etc but mysql db's, CVS
etc will be unreachable/offline/read only

saturday:
    copy and move all related scripts, cronjobs, user accounts to the
new server. content, sql dbs, etc will all be moved at this time. I will
also run a last-time 100% rsync backup as well as individual backups of
the important content (cvs trees etc)

sunday:
    setup and test all major components (most notably E-MAIL, DNS, WWW,
CVS).

later:
    fix && make everything else work!

warning: this schedule is preliminary. I do now know if I'll be able to
make any of these 'deadlines' at all. Most likely HTTP and SMTP services
will be started on time as well as DNS. Most likely CVS access might
take a little longer as I'll want to make sure the new user accounts
don't mess up stuff. I also need to re-setup the firewall etc etc...

it could very well be that CVS access is not restored next weekend. Make
sure you can work offline for a week in case I do not make the timeline.
My goals are mainly DNS, SMTP and HTTP... al other services will be
considered not important until those 3 are up and running (also because
all people running lunar will not be able to do pretty much anything
like updating etc...).

REQUEST:

    can everyone with an account on xfce.org/lunar-linux.org BACKUP
THEIR OWN:
       -e-mail
       -homedir (except xfceweb)
       -cronjobs

    anyone who is NOT able to do so next week can ask me. if you DONT
get a message from you then I assume YOU DON'T NEED HELP. Make sure you
don't lose anything... I have full backups but I'm not gonna restore
anyones data when I'm busy with more important stuff.

hope it all goes just fine...

sofar

PS this is the time to remind me of stuff I need to write down && ask
questions (not next week). ;^)