Apache user?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Apr 22 11:58:19 GMT 2004

Jerry Lundström wrote:

> Jon South wrote:
>
>> Why is it we have a seperate daemon for https anyway? Apache can
>> listen on both 80 and 443 at the same time, why use up more resources
>> to have a different set a daemons for each port?
>

> Good point, donno. Some dists do it that way
> (apache/apache-ssl/apache-perl).

privilege separation: make sure whatever content written by the https
server isn't writeable(or even accessible) by the (easier compromised?)
http daemon.

and also: https server content might be a complete different
domain/virthost.

having them run a separate servers also reduces risk, if one server dies
the other one still works... etc.

sofar