Apache user?

Jerry Lundström prox at lunar-linux.org
Thu Apr 22 11:42:29 GMT 2004

Jon South wrote:
> Auke Kok wrote:
>> anyway, before you turn up a mess, here's a brief list of
>> possibilities: www, w3, http, httpd, apache, web, https, httpsd....
>> the list of possible choices is endless... nobody isn't all that bad
>> folks - especially for defaults.

I would like to se http and https.

>> PS I don't see 'many' other processes running as nobody actually, are
>> there actually modules that consistently use the uid 'nobody' ?

Some do, distcc for example and the normal is to run daemons as nobody
if you dont configure diffrently. Also alot of scripts might run as
nobody if they dont need special access (inetd).

> Why is it we have a seperate daemon for https anyway? Apache can listen
> on both 80 and 443 at the same time, why use up more resources to have a
> different set a daemons for each port?

Good point, donno. Some dists do it that way
(apache/apache-ssl/apache-perl).