XOrg vs XFree86

Nick Hudson nhudson at lunar-linux.org
Wed Apr 7 13:12:16 GMT 2004

Moritz Heiber wrote:

> Nick Hudson wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>>    Today Keith Packerd has released the 1st stable version of the
>> fork of XFree86, XOrg Xserver.  Now with that in mind should we move
>> away from using XFree86 since we have decited not to move to 4.4.0?
>> IF anyone wants to read up on things you can go here
>> http://freedesktop.org/XOrg to get that info.  I guess I am just
>> asking for everyones opinion on the subject.  Personally I think we
>> need to move to XOrg, there is development going on and progress
>> being made, XFree86 is not going to change their license and I see
>> all other "major" distros switching to use XOrgs xserver.  There
>> shouldnt be alot of work to do to switch you system over.  Everything
>> will run and compile the same as if it was XFree86.  Anyway there is
>> a module in moonbase right now with a beta version of XOrg that it
>> will install.  Hopefully once I can update Gnome, then I will start
>> on updating XOrg and then seperate that into diffrent modules like,
>> xorg-xserver, xorg-libs, xorg-fonts.
>

> Yeah, lets move on.
> Again Nick, you're doing a terrific job on this part. If you need any
> help just ask for it (i.e. testing stuff ..). Keep it up!

Thanks! I try :) anyway looks like tchan updated the module and moved it
to x11.  So things should be good to go for now till I can come up with
a good way to seperate the 1 module into seperate modules.  Also I
updated the CONFIGURE file to make sure fontconfig doesnt get compiled
and I updated the version of fontconfig in the moonbase to the latest
version.

Nick