depends rework thoughts.

Steven Michalske hardkrash at lunar-linux.org
Tue Dec 9 12:04:51 GMT 2003

the bitfield is for the default setting,

but to limit ourselfs to a default setting of what we expect is normal then
its bad.  i rather see levels of defaultness.

that is where modes 2 4 8 and 16 come in to play

perhaps a bitfield isnt needed
but say levels
2 minimal
3 normal
4 nice extras
5 the bloat of all bloats

and then the user sets the level of bloat they want.
so if i set optional depends level 3  i would get a medium sized disrto
level 2 would be like im making a firewall
and level 4 would be like redhat/suse/mandrake
5 your nutz :-P
if an opt. depends was at level 2 any level higher in the settings would
include it by default and the user wouldent be asked
only levels 1 or 0 would ask

the luser would only make a setting for the level in the lunar menu
and devlopers would set the optional depends default field/flag

the use of a bitfield was to allow the setting of options individualy and
combined at the same time in one varible.  like a chmod 777  is really a
bitfield all on.

lin would use defaults unless a -flag was given to say hey for this module I
want you to use level blah

steve