depends rework thoughts.

Steven Michalske hardkrash at lunar-linux.org
Mon Dec 8 22:37:38 GMT 2003

Hey team,

With christmas break comming up i decided what my winter project will be.

Start working on an improved depends system.
I have talked about this with elaine mostly and now I want your opinions and
thoughts on this matter.

what that has come out of our dicussions is this.

mode flags for the various types of depends

normal : plain you must have this to work at all times
optional : this can be selected as optional
	note optional depends will have a defaults flag.
rebuild:  if the depender module is rebuilt then this module is rebuild
	example:  linux is a rebuild depends of pcmcia-cs
run: this flag specified that this must be present to run the module but not
to build the module
build: this module is only needed in the build process
	e.g. something is required to to prase source code in a build step.
one of many:  (needs a good name)  a list of modules that equate to the same

these are combined thoughts as of yet  and the beginings of what is to come.

steve