All developers plz read this!

Jeff Hodges jmhodges at lunar-linux.org
Sun Aug 24 12:53:10 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 12:16, Chuck Mead wrote:

> <csm> the DEPENDS in many of our modules are doing things that make it
> difficult to impossible to move forward with lunar2
> <csm> we have to stop doing logical code in the DEPENDS
> <csm> so make it gtk2 and assume everyone wants everything... libical etc.
> <csm> our "if" logic needs to come out of those DEPENDS files
> <nhudson> ok np
> <csm> and that means *ALL* DEPENDS need to be changed for this... no
> logic in DEPENDS
> <csm> in short it was a good idea which is unsupportable over the long haul
> <nhudson> ok well I think that is the only module with logic in the
> depends file but I will look over the moonbase and find out if there are
> anymore like it
> <csm> okay
> <csm> anyplace we have it... "max_options" become defaults
> <csm> if you see what I mean
> <csm> if there is a way to do it in BUILD that's fine (maybe) but if you
> think about it that may raise serious issues as well
> <csm> there are many, many builds that may have to be re-written to make
> the jump to lunar2
> <nhudson> well frankliy I am tired of being asked do I want to install
> this or that 400 times in a module
> <nhudson> I would just rather have everything installed for it and be
> done with the module
> <csm> yes... and in fact the *RULE OF LAW* with virtually every other
> AMS in existence is that it must run/install completely automagically
> <csm> RH would have the head of any dev who did that on a silver platter
> <csm> for instance... the nano install was recently reworked to ask
> questions...
> <csm> I say no questions but max options by default
> <nhudson> yeah I agree, I dont care how many deps it has just install
> them and be done with it
> <nhudson> well I will get started on that this afternoon
> <csm> okay... and glad you see my point

The only problem I see with this is the Linux-PAM based modules.  Myabe
I'm missing something and if so please correct me but there are many who
do not wish to use Linux-PAM and do not want to have to deal with the
possible forced reinstallation of some modules.  I know there must be
other options that can cause similarly annoying problems (or might be in
the future) and as such, the forcing of certain questions are
necessary.
--
	-- Jeff

Truth will out this morning.  (Which may really mess things up.)