Module resubmission

v4hn v4hn at lunar-linux.org
Fri Oct 5 11:07:21 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 11:58:20AM +0400, elh wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> > On 10/04/2012 04:31 PM, elh wrote:
> >> Hello. I've just submitted new "netatalk" module to the queue with
> >>"lvu submit", but then realised that i've done this as regular user, not root.
> >>The outcome was that lvu didn't manage to read init script from the module
> >>and it wasn't included in the diff summary.
> >>
> >>The question is - how do i resubmit the module.
> >>Running "lvu submit" as root now gives me "Error: file already uploaded".

Tell me on IRC or write me a mail and I'll drop the old submission.
Seems like I'm kind of in charge of that queue at the moment...

> > we're now using github, so the best way to send code is through there.
> >
> > The `lvu submit` method is obsolete, and we haven't gotten around to removing that code.
> >
> > Auke

Sorry, but I got to disagree with you here.
Github is not the best nor an easy way to submit your first couple of modules.
You can see that by looking at this long pending pull request for example:
https://github.com/lunar-linux/moonbase-other/pull/30

Also keep in mind that most submissions of new lunar user are rejected because
of small mistakes and I don't like the idea of having a lot of small fixes as
separate commits in the repos with descriptions which probably are not even
formated according to our standard. And forcing the submitter to use commit --amend
or rebase -i and push --force is just one more pitfall for most users.

Sure, you can blame people for being stupid, but you can also just keep easy
methods of submission around. The submission system is pretty neat from
a users perspective and opposing to most maintainers beliefs it is quite simple
to use atm.

If someone wants to improve it though, then add a new github account for the
submission queue which automatically adds pull requests for each submitted module
and accepts/rejects the submissions based on the outcome of that pull-request.
That's quite a bit of unnecessary middleware code imho,
but if someone writes it that's fine by me.

> Lvu submit was pretty awesome for its simplicity and ability
> to pull local modules for review with one line.
> I understand advantages of git-based contributing approach though.

Continue to submit modules using lvu submit for as long as you like
and auke didn't remove it. :)

v4hn