kernel build bug

Richard B. Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Sat Mar 10 17:29:39 CET 2012

There is a bug in the kernel build process that I have been seeing for a
long time and it has bitten me a few times.

When rebuilding a kernel of the same version, lunar supposedly moves the
old kernel image to a .old and adjusts /etc/lilo.conf accordingly.

The bug is that while it does properly create the .old entry in
lilo.conf, it does not actually move the old kernel image to .old, so
lilo fails. If I don't catch it and manually edit lilo.conf and re-run
lilo, it will leave the system unbootable.

This is particularly serious when running the latest kernel because
there are no rescue out there with the latest kernel and if I have done
a lunar rebuild, it becomes impossible to even fix the problem using a
rescue disk because trying to chroot into the mounted system fails with
a "Kernel too old".