xorg-server mesa-lib

Jean Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Sun Mar 4 19:33:44 CET 2012

> The fix was trivial. Fundamental issue we encountered is
> communication: "this is a known problem and reported a few times on
> IRC already."

I think, X11 (xorg-server / mesa-lib) are "important" things in a
distribution. So anyone dealing with that, should make absolutely sure,
that everything will work if he/she updates something. This hasn't been
the case here, otherwise you would have noticed - Just like I and
sometimes El_Angelo are doing stuff. What do we do? We setup a virtual
environment (take a look at qemu, virtualbox, or whatever
virtualization stuff you prefer) and try to see if everything works, or
if something fails for new installations. Did you do that? No -
Otherwise you would have noticed.

Am I asking for _much_ when I'm asking a developer to try this for new
installations? No - Because I'm just asking that devs make sure
important things, like the kernel, init-systems, xorg-server/mesa-lib,
bootloader will still work. And in my opinion, if a developer is
not willing to test something he/she shouldn't touch important
applications.

I have a lot of respect for you and your work and I'm not blaming you
alone, but you (and we all!) have to decide whether lunar is some
sort of playground with fucked up things or if we want to keep it on
some serious usable level. If new users join the channel asking for
help because of some "trivial" update then something went really really
wrong.

By the way: You're a dev here - Which gives you some power and access,
but it gives you also some responsibility: You as a dev should make
sure everything you do works, saying (even if some might disagree with
me) sorry I couldn't test this specific thing if on the contrary just
an installation in a virtual environment would have shown the bug, is
just .. let me pick the right word... lame.

> But no for all this bashers here it is better to bash on dev later
> instead of leting him know asap about issue to fix this early. There
> is more fun for them this way.

Absolutely zbiggy; it's fun having a useless box for three days because
of some trivial update </sarcasm>. Sadly this sort of trivial updates
are happening so often.. I can't even count that anymore.

Seriously: This brings us back to the old story: We need stable and
unstable in Lunar.

Jean