Fatal: Setup length exceeds 31 maximum; kernel setup will overwrite boot loader

Richard B. Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Sun Nov 6 22:20:22 CET 2011

I am in the process of building a new machine running x86_64. With the
kernel update to 2.6.39.4-x86_64, I get the above error when running lilo.

Everything I am finding on the web about this error claims that it was
fixed in the current version of lilo, which I has
re-downloaded./compiled/installed several time with no success.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

--Richard