can't log in after update

Stefan Wold ratler at lunar-linux.org
Fri Jul 1 23:14:49 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 13:12 -0600, Richard B. Pyne wrote:
> I started updating my lunar based server this morning and now cannot log
> get to being root except from booting in single user mode.

Check your logs! They should at least give you an indication what is
wrong. My hunch is that you might have had a modified pam file
in /etc/pam.d, if that is the case shadow nor Linux-PAM will update that
file. Does lvu install shadow and lvu install Linux-PAM list any files
in /etc/pam.d?

If they do, please tell is which ones. If it doesn't that is your issue.
You need to manually replace the pam.d files or remove them
from /etc/pam.d and reinstall shadow and Linux-PAM.

--
Sincerely
Stefan Wold