Does kaffeine works for you?

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 22 22:40:59 CET 2011

On Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:31:49 am Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:

> > > Your xine-lib-vdpau bump also effects phonon-4.4.3 so it will not
> > > build the xine backend;
> > >
> > > + Xine: xine-lib v1.1.90 was found on your system. This version
> > > contains major changes compared to 1.1.x and has not been tested
> > > properly for use with this backend.
> >
> > Additionally, the same problem exists with phonon-backend-xine-4.4.4;
> >
> > CMake Error at xine/CMakeLists.txt:45 (message):
> >   xine-lib v1.1.90 was found on your system.  This version contains
> >
> > major changes compared to 1.1.x and has not been tested properly for
> > use with this backend.  Consider downgrading to version
> >
> > 1.1.9.http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9655&packa
> > ge_id=9732
> >

> > -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
> > Creating /var/log/lunar/compile/phonon-backend-xine-4.4.4.bz2
> >

> > The up coming phonon-4.4.4 has split out the backends into their own;
> > see here for some info;
> >
> > http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/phonon-family-4-4-4/
> >
> > At this point the Phonon folks for the most part consider xine to be
> > unmaintained. As I understand the new detection behavior, the order of
> > preference used by kde is/will be;
> >
> > gstreamer backend > vlc-backend > xine-backend
> >
> > You will/can of course change that in systemsettings.
>
> Kaffeine stopped using phonon in 1.0-pre2. Since then it began using xine-
> lib directly. For the rest I use mplayer.
>
> have a nice day,
> Zbigniew Luszpinski

Well I am not real concerned about kaffeine since it depends on kde4/base.
Your xine bump is not compatible with kde (as a whole) which means
phonon/kdebase4-runtime cannot use it; additionally if the current kde-
beta(4.6) is any indication the same will apply. Those wishing to use the
xine-backend will not have that choice.

--
Dennis `stumbles` Veatch
Lunar Linux Developer