Broadcom, b42-fwcutter & b43-phy0 ERROR

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat Feb 5 08:44:22 CET 2011

> Hi,
> I am trying to set up the wifi in my laptop and I am having some
> trouble with the firmware. I got a Broadcom (BCM4312 802.11b/g), and I
> tried to extract the harware by installing and running b43-fwcutter.
> But I am getting the following error:
>
> b43-phy0 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY.
>
> Any idea of what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.

This message suggest that you have supported MAC chip (BCM4312) by the
driver but PHY chip is not supported. Find out what PHY chip you have and
look for driver for it. Usually PHY driver is buit in MAC driver because
MAC chip drives and uses exclusively PHY chip. For wireless the phy chip
should be transciever chip. This message may tell you also that driver has
built in phy driver but not for hardware you have. Try this driver's repo
for the most new one code.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski