new kernel (3.1.6) lilo boot rescue

Richard B. Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Fri Dec 30 21:51:44 CET 2011

First, a big thank you to all who gave me pointers and ideas to rescue
my hosed system, here and on irc.

My machine is an AMD Phenom II x6 and I am running lunar-linux x86_64.
It was a fresh install with everything updated and rebuilt. After a
kernel reconfigure, lilo had failed because it couldn't find the .old
kernel image and I wasn't paying close enough attention to catch it
before I rebooted.

Here is the process that saved my bacon:

My disk layout is:

/dev/sda1 = /boot
/dev/sda2 = /
/dev/sda5 = /usr
/dev/sda6 = /home
/dev/sda7 = /var

using the grml live cd, boot the system to a normal (root) command prompt.

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/usr
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/home