network problem

Duncan Gibson duncan at thermal.esa.int
Fri Jul 23 10:38:21 CEST 2010

I'm at work at the moment and don't really have time to spend on this,
so please reply to the lunar mailing list where others maybe can.

>> * can you configure eth0 manually using ifconfig?
>
> maybe I can but I don't have a clue how.

ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1	# or other unused/private IP address

see man ifconfig for details

>> * if using 'lnet' to configure eth0, make sure that it really wrote
>> the correct things back to /etc/config.d/network/eth0
>
> Yes, when I choose as manager ifplugd then I get a ipv6 adress but
> no dns info. On booting I see a message : failed to set gateway

if you use dhcpcd then gateway and dns stuff should be set for you.
if using manual configuration, you need to supply these addresses.

>> * is 8139cp enabled as a module in the kernel?
>
> Yes, I doublechecked that

sorry, but I don't have this card, so don't know the current status,
but a web search shows old problems with 8139cp and 8139too conflict.
does that help?

>> * any clues in the /var/log files?
>
> Not that I can find it.

Running lspci and ifconfig might give you some more clues.

I'm afraid I have no time to help further.
D.