Lunar + Mint

Marek Paśnikowski marekpasnikowski at interia.eu
Sun Jul 4 17:39:08 CEST 2010

Hey guys!
I am sorry about my disappearance. Unfortunately, my HDD finally broke
down (I was anticipating this would happen for half a year now), so I
had to buy a new one. During this time I had no possibilities to connect
to the web. I didn't feel like compiling the whole new system from
scratch, so I decided to check out Linux Mint 9 KDE RC. Recently,
developers of this distribution mentioned that they are working on a
quite new framework of their distribution:
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1467 . I'd like to show you something:
"it’s possible for us to distribute a system with a different package
base such as Debian. We’ve also considered experimenting with an RPM
Fedora base, a Slackware/APT base  and even making our own from
scratch." For a year now I dream of an easily installable and manageable
source-based system. Those words showed a possibility to make my dream
come true.
I didn't inform Mint creators yet, as I think you first should judge my
idea. Linux distributions keep forking and dividing with new ideas. My
idea is to merge Lunar technology with Mint's easiness. Imagine some
situations.

    * You are a fresh convert from Windows and want fast and easy
      system. You pick normal Debian based Mint with apt.
    * You want to have good looking and easy system on an old machine,
      but don't bother about install time. You pick Lunar based Mint and
      during installation configuration you choose GCC size
      optimization, so it consumes minimum system resources. The system
      is not very fast, but it should be usable even on 300MB of RAM.
    * You want to have super fast Mint installation. Of course you
      select GCC -S03 optimization level, enter number of CPU cores to
      use during build and wait a day or two (maybe longer, if you use a
      netbook or something similar) for system to grow.

Basically, Mint would be first divided into different desktop
environment categories, as it is now, and those would forked into Debian
and Lunar versions of package manager. I understand that before updates
are submitted to repositories, they are in form of sources, and then
compiled with optimizations selected by the developing team. These
sources would be forwarded to additional repository group (Mint has five
repositories now - sorted by instability risk). It is possible to use
both installation systems - look at Sabayon and it's Entropy + Portage
cooperation.
During installation of Lunar version of Mint, lunar would use CD with
sources as local repository to secure system against network connection
problems. The installer would have one additional (comparing to original
version) step with optimization settings. I don't know the configuration
process which takes place at the end of installation, but I think it is
possible to make it work with Lunar base. This new approach to
optimization technology will surely add some new advantages to Linux PR.
Inexperienced users will be able to greatly enhance system
characteristics with almost no risk. The only real disadvantage of this
would be very long time of installation.
So how do you like it? I think, once this goes public, it will change
course of Linux history forever.