New install boot problem

Dave Brown dagbrown at lart.ca
Mon Jan 11 04:41:15 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 07:15:23AM -0500, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> On Saturday 09 January 2010 5:22:56 am Dave Brown wrote:
> > Heck, yesterday I installed grub 2 on my work machine and set up not
> > only the root filesystem, but /boot itself as RAID-backed LVM volumes.
>
> Some people do prefer lilo. I do not, but for now it is the only
> choice I have for x86_64. Yes I know grub2 is supposed to deal with
> that but haven't gotten around to fiddling with it.
>
> Apparently grub2 has made some development progress; are you going to
> be our designated grub-guru? :)

Hey, at work we have dozens of x86_64 filesystems booting with grub2.
They're running Solaris, mind, but I was tired of not knowing anything
about grub2 so I installed it for myself.

I'll make up a package for it and lvu submit it when I get around to it.
The biggest impact in adding grub 2 support is that grub 2 has a
different menu file format (and it's now in grub.cfg, not menu.lst,
which could actually make things simpler) so updating the menu on a
kernel upgrade would be different.

Ubuntu's default grub.cfg file is 153 lines long!  (Also, they quietly
switched to grub 2 in 9.10, much to the annoyance of quite a lot of
users.)

--Dave