New install boot problem

Richard B. Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Fri Jan 8 08:42:29 CET 2010

On 1/7/2010 11:28 PM, Dave Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 10:33:12PM -0700, Richard B. Pyne wrote:
>
>>   I am having trouble installing Lunar on a brand new machine. The install
>>   from the 1.6.4 ISO seems to go fine, but on reboot it will not even try to
>>   boot from the hard drive. When I do a maintenance boot from the CD, I can
>>   mount all of the partitions and everything looks good. I have checked and
>>   the /boot partition is marked bootable. If I boot from the CD with the root=
>>   parameter, the boot dies with a "unable to open console" message.
>>
>>   Any help will ge greatly appreciated.
>>
> I bet your system has an unpopulated /dev.  It tries to open the console
> before running udev, which causes problems.  (I've had this happen to me
> before.)
>
> (Workaround: boot up a CD in rescue mode, running udev, then do this:
>
>      mount /dev/sda2 /mnt    # change to whatever your real root filesystem is
>      cd /dev
>      tar cvf - . | ( cd /mnt/dev; tar xvf - )
>      mount /mnt

This got me past the "unable to open console" problem so that I can use
the CD to boot with the "root=/dev/sda3", but it still tells me that
there is no bootable media unless I have the CD in.

I have tried "lilo -M /dev/sda mbr" "lilo -b /dev/sda" both of which
tell me that the MBR has been updated,

--Richard