KDE video problem (was Re: kdm missing)

Richard B. Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Mon Feb 22 00:35:52 CET 2010

On 2/21/2010 3:31 AM, Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
>> after a lunar update, suddenly I get the message "The executable kdm
>> does not exist" when trying to start kdm4 from /etc/init.d/kdm4
>>
> Do
> ls /usr/src/kde*
> if you see kde directories listed it means their compilation is not finished - they were not installed.
> That is why you do not have kdm4 - I was missing startkde. I almost sure you will see kdebase in /usr/src when you'll do ls.
> Your compilation might fail because kde depends in Lunar on kde*experimental module (forgot full name). This module is not present in current kde4 so it was removed during update. However dependency map in Lunar still keeps this module and blocks kde full install - this was my case.
>
> There is ugly bug in Lunar with cached dependencies not being updated when module is removed from moonbase or when lin -r is issued.
> The ugly hack is to delete cached dependencies and lin kde again. Sorry :(
> I'll look at it if I find some time or someone else will fix this.
>
> I forgot which file it was but look at these:
> /var/state/lunar/depends*
> Copy them to safe place (if someone will post better solution than mine)
> Then open in text editor and remove from them all lines containing like kde*experimental.
> I do not remember full module name but it contains words kde and experimental. Probably it was kde*libs*experimental.
> Then lin again whole kde because some kde modules were build without broken modules installed first.
>
> have a nice day,
> Zbigniew Luszpinski

  Thank you. That solved that problem, but now when I log in to kde, it
starts the login in process and then resets back to the login screen.
After I have tried once to login through KDE, I cannot get back to a
text console screen, when I try, it looks like it tries, but the video
mode won't reset back to text.

The computer is a Dell 9400 laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
video controller, I have the xf86-video-ati driver installed.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

--Richard