***SPAM*** Re: update-function for lin and autocorrection of the checksums for the verify-plugins

Christian Riggenbach criggenbach at magahugu.net
Mon Jan 5 22:22:51 CET 2009

Am Montag, den 05.01.2009, 10:18 -0800 schrieb Kok, Auke:
> Christian Riggenbach wrote:
> > Hi everybody
> >
> > A new try: After about a year, I submit my update-patches again. I hope,
> > this time more people have time to check them.
> >
> > The patches ('module-update.plugin', 'lin.patch', and
> > 'download-generic.plugin.patch') extend the lin-programm with an
> > update-funktion. This is made with an additional getopts-switch in the
> > lin-program itself, a BUILD_POST_INSTALL-plugin and by preserving the
> > timestamp of the dowloaded file for suggest the UPDATED-date.
> >
> > With this patch, a user can update a module simply by:
> >
> > # lin -uw VERSION MODULE
> >
> > The patches 'verify-{md5,sha1}.plugin.patch' extend the
> > verifying-plugins so that they can correct the checksums themself, if
> > the module is in the zlocal-section.
>
> This turns a "small" hack into an outright big one... I really don't like this at
> all. Apart from adding a lot of code it only helps for very few cases, and in
> those cases people should really double check the websites and modules to see if
> they match anyway (and fix them attentively).

It's clear you have to check the dates and versions on the website. As I
have written, this function _suggests_ a date for UPDATE. In my case,
when I get curious if there's a new version, I browse the website to
verify it. Normaly just near the download there's the date of the file
(or a news-article about the version). So I can verify it just in time.

I don't think this function can only be used in a few cases. Almost all
my modules, for which I found a new version, are updated with this. It's
also a sort of test, because you can only update it if it compiles
without errors.

> Auke

my greetings

Christian Riggenbach