Server Virtualization

Tim Gelter tgelter at gurulabs.com
Sat Sep 27 19:18:19 CEST 2008

rpyne at kinfolk.org wrote:
> Does anyone here have any experience with Xen or any of the other
> server virtualization layers? If so, please tell me your experiences
> and recommendations.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --Richard

KVM appears to be the "Linux way" for virtualization in the future but
can be annoying to work with currently if you want to do anything fancy
with networking. Also, no GUI is available if that's important to you.
Virtualbox is very easy to use, but has recently been bought out by Sun,
so I'm sure they'll do whatever they can with it to battle against
Linux's progress.
Xen is the current standard for open-source virtualization of production
systems but will hopefully be going the way of the dodo soon as the
kernel devs have adopted KVM as _the_ Linux virtualization technology
and have integrated it into the kernel.
VMWare is always a proprietary option that works very well also.
Just my 2 cents...
-Tim