kernel configuration, hpet (was notebook with lunar?)

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu Mar 13 22:58:11 CET 2008

Thursday 13 of March 2008 18:38:51 Kok, Auke wrote:
> > I'm not sure if hpet will help me on my single core CPU:
> > "The HPET provides a stable time base on SMP systems, unlike the TSC, but
> > it is more expensive to access, as it is off-chip." source:
> > CONFIG_HPET_TIMER help from menuconfig.
> >
> > So far do not see big difference. Will look how it behaves under load.
>
> try running powertop and seeing if it still complains about HPET being
> missing.

Cool tool. No complains about hpet. I will post the patch on nvnews to see
what other say. Very interesting hints about power saving. However I meant
processing power decrease. According to hpet kernel doc this is off-chip
device so access cost is higher than to TSC. For desktops power saving is not
so important.

> > I can not disable it. This is dependency for:
> >  [*] PAE (Physical Address Extension) Support
>
> I don't think you need PAE anyway. you don't have 4gb of memory so that's
> not going to be used anyway either.

PAE is useful for NX protection. In Linux it may not be needed. XP SP2 auto
enables it to protect against 'blaster' virii. After deactivating PAE I could
turn off 64bit mem. Will see how it works.

> > I do not think so. Asus saved cost by not providing heat spreader on
> > south bridge (other manufacturers have some iron on this very same south
> > bridge). Southbridge is hot as hell. I got SATA errors few times.
>
> lol, ok I will reconsider ASUS mobo's now :)

This A8N-VM CSM was my learning that if everyone puts iron on chip and one
manufacturer does not do this,  it means accountants cut costs on this
product (so other things also can be broken and in my case they are).

zbiggy