notebook with lunar?

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Mar 11 22:42:28 CET 2008

Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> Tuesday 11 of March 2008 17:04:24 Kok, Auke wrote:
>> Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
>>> [ ] HPET Timer Support
>> turn this ON. *always*
>
> My Asus A8N-VM CSM is too old to support this. This is not hardware limitation
> but bios acpi problem. Asus refused to add hpet entry to acpi table and
> reserved this feature for later boards. What a pity Linux needs hpet entry in
> acpi table to use hpet - otherwise I could have it.

there are patches that force-enable the HPET in this case, you might want to look
at those as HPET will significantly improve battery life on laptops.

>>> -*- 64 bit Memory and IO resources (EXPERIMENTAL)
>> I doubt you need this and it just makes things slower. probably better to
>> turn off.
>
> lspci -v tells me that many devices have 64bit+ caps (all are integrated in
> Nvidia C51 and MCP51 chipset). I do not remember that I turned it on because
> I usually keep away from experimental when I do not have to. Probably
> something other autoenabled it as requirement.

all this option does is use more bytes to access the same memory. Since you are
unlikely to have 4gb+ memory in your laptop, you don't need it and it just wastes
CPU cycles.

>>> [ ] Suspend to RAM and standby
>>> [ ] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
>> you don't want to suspend/resume with your laptop?
>
> I do not have any laptop. Just two ATX desktops.

still could be interesting :)

>> looks good otherwise. :)
>
> Thanks for comments. When I replace Asus junk mobo with real hardware I will
> remember to enable hpet and upgrade CPU to dual/quad core too. :-)
> Only wait for apps using sse4/5.

lol, asus usually makes OK motherboards.

it's more important for libraries to use sse+ stuff, those play an extremely
important role under linux. looks like that effort is being worked on too right now.

Auke