notebook with lunar?

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Fri Mar 7 13:58:40 CET 2008

> k8-temp is kernel module, govenors also are configurable in kernel - I choose
> ondemand as default one. You can use cpufrequtils lunar module to control
> govenors by hand.
>
> I can send you my kernel config for AMD to take everything the factory gives.
>
> My last Intel was Pentium75MHz. Then I used AMD Duron/AthlonXP/Athlon64. All
> work great. The cool feature of AMD since AthlonXP/64 you can have both
> 3dnow/sse together and C'n'Q which makes CPU cold (my machine have 1 fan).

Yep, please mail me your kernel config. I haven't tried arround with
cpufrequtils right now, but k8-temp is in kernel and seems it's working,
dmesg is showing some things ;-)

>> Geforce 8600M GS 512 MB (up to 1280 MB Turbo Cache)
>>

> GeForce 8600M GS supported in Lunar. Use the NVIDIA or NVIDIA-beta module.
> (NVIDIA is at 169.12 version with proprietary installer, NVIDIA-beta is at
> 171.05 with Lunar installer written by me. They do not differ very much:
> 169.12 is for home use, 171.05 is dedicated for Tesla superb render farms/GPU
> scientific calculations - there is additional tool for GPU control). I use
> 169.12 which was released later.

i installed NVIDIA-beta. It's working.
> activate vesafb console in kernel. Then add to kernel boot parameters:
> vga=773 video=vesafb:mtrr:4,ywrap
> (vga=773 is 1024x768x256 resolution which is perfect for me; you can pick up
> other vesa mode). Do _not_ use nvidiafb in kernel because you will not boot
> to X (open nvidiafb vs proprietary nvidia X driver conflict).

ah, okay, ty.
>> 15.4"WXGA Acer Crystalbrite LCD (8ms/220-nit)
>>

> Supported via NVIDIA.

yep, working.

>> 250 GB HDD (WD2500BEVS-22UST0 ATA Device)
>> DVD-Super Multi DL (HL-DL-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA Device)
>>

> Chipset NVIDIA nForce 630M you have supports AHCI sata driver.
> nForce630 use AHCI sata driver so using Nvidia sata driver which is for older
> chipsets will not work.

thats working with ahci. yep.

>> 802.11b/g WLAN (Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter)
>>

> Do not know.

i needed to look for a winxp inf file for this wireless network adapter
and i'm using it with ndiswrapper. The Vista driver isn't working with
ndiswrapper. Anyway - it's working.

>> Realteak High definition Audio
>>

> HDA is integrated in nForce 630. Use alsa hda driver.
> options snd-hda-intel model=acer

i haven't tried model=acer right now - and i don't have much experience
with modules where do i set this options? (normally i have everything i
need statically in my kernel heh)

>> and some special things:
>> Acer Crystal Eye webcam
>>

> Do not know. Depends on v4l driver and cam chipset.

working really good in skype.
>> Ricoh Memory stick controller
>> ricoh sd/mmc host controller
>> Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
>> Alps pointing-device (this touchpad)
>> HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
>>

> Do not know. Depends on controller chipset.
>
> The only Lunar problems I had was SATA because of old ISO.
> First it was SI3112 chipset when I said hello to Lunar for first time few
> years ago and later Intel ESB2 chipset.
>
> Ask @tchan on IRC - he is very kind and helpful with injecting new kernel
> source to iso image. He helped me very much when I struggled with Intel ESB2
> chipset a year ago. 99% of Lunar troubles can be solved by injecting current
> kernel to ISO image (or by installing to IDE and moving content to SATA after
> kernel update).

the ricoh things are working, the touchpad is working. the hdaudio
thingy, dunno.