notebook with lunar?

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 5 19:30:34 CET 2008

>> > Do not know.
>>
>> intel wireless now has a completely open source driver which is
>> available
>> in 2.6.24.
>
> Wunderbar. If I find Intel users I will tell'em. One point plus for you -
> atheros works only via ndis wrapper. :-(

I have Lunar 1.6.2 beta1 installed on an old Sony Viao PCG-FX401 with
an SMC PCMCIA wireless card. lspci reports it as

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg
NIC

and it's running using the madwifi module, not ndiswrapper. I admit that
already use madwifi on my ASUS Pundit-R desktop with SMC PCI card, so I
copied the madwifi source over via a USB stick as soon as I'd installed.
Therefore I don't know whether it would have worked right off the ISO
without problems.

madwifi is a bit sensitive to (semi)major updates to the kernel, but
then you can always switch over to the madwifi-svn module and live on
the edge for a while until the next stable release catches up.

However, you do need to check the exact Atheros card against the madwifi
list because not all variations are currently supported.

Cheers
Duncan / engelsman