glibc optimizations

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Wed Feb 27 15:57:36 CET 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:33:47 -0700
"Richard Pyne" <rpyne at kinfolk.org> wrote:

> I ran a lunar update last night on a machine that hadn't been updated
> for a while. Everything went fine except glibc which dies with:
>
> /usr/src/glibc-2.7/glibcroot/config.h:3:3: error: #error "glibc
> cannot be compiled without optimization"
>
> So, what optimization is safe?

You're essentially suffering from a bug that occurs when gcc
optimization plugins are changing (e.g. upgrade gcc 4.1.x to 4.2.x).
Lunar, right now, is not able to migrate any of your previous choices
to the newer gcc optimization plugin. But since you're using the new
compiler by default you're left without any optimizations at all.

Resetting your optimizations to "normal" values should do the trick.

Regards,

Moritz

PS: We're working on a solution.

--