64 bit ready for prime-time?

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Dec 11 22:45:57 CET 2008

Stefan Wold wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 17:12 -0700, rpyne at kinfolk.org wrote:
>> Just a general questiono, is 64 bit Linux ready for prime time?
>>
>> I am preparing to build a new firewall/mail server for my company on
>> an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e dual-core 2.3GHz machine and am wondering
>> if I should go with Linux x86 64 or stick with the regular x86
>> install.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any input or comments.
>
> I'd say it is, at least for server side, assuming we are talking about
> lunar here. Lunar still need some tweaking on x86_64 for desktop users
> but we're getting there. I've been runing x86_64 since the first release
> on a couple of servers, no issues. With this said 64-bit is not the
> solution to all problems though ;)

ditto. no problems running your typical server apps whatsoever.

please note however that many power-savings features are absent on x86_64, so if
power consumption is your bitch (which I suspect it isn't, considering you
probably bought a typical anti-entropy device), you might prefer to stick to
i686/32-bit.

So personally, for mostly-idle servers I would really prefer 32-bit kernels.

Auke