USB missing in connect.lunar

Dave Brown dagbrown at lart.ca
Mon Aug 11 19:52:24 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 09:53:51AM -0700, Kok, Auke wrote:
> Chris Andrew wrote:
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > I'm new to Lunar and the list and am just doing my first install.
> >
> > The spare box I am using, connects to my router via a USB port, not
> > eth0.  I managed to get networking set-up with the help of 'dagbrown'
> > (many thanks).
> >
> > I noticed that /var/lib/lunar/functions/connect.lunar tries different
> > network options, but seems to be missing USB[1-9].  I placed this in
> > the file manually, and my USB network connection worked perfectly.
>
> rename your usb0 device to eth0 using `ifrename` and it all should work just fine.

That doesn't seem like an acceptable answer.

Is wireless-tools preinstalled on the ISO?  That's the package which
contains ifrename, and if you don't have that, you need to install it,
which involves manually patching connect.lunar (this is a TRIVIAL patch
by the way, it took me ten seconds to figure it out when I was helping
Chris on #lunar) to find the usb[0-9] network interface.

For another thing, network configuration should happen in the installer,
and that should be aware of such things as USB network interfaces.  The
lnet utility exists for a reason--to get things like that right so the
user doesn't have to waste time manually changing things on their
system.

--Dave