RFC: removal of gtk+ and gnome-1.x from moonbase

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Sun Mar 4 09:01:10 CET 2007

All,

I'm suggesting the deletion of all gtk+ 1.2.x -based and gnome-1.x based modules
from moonbase. This currently comprises about 155 packages.

The motivation is simple: gnome-1.4 is obsolete and unmaintained. gtk-1.2 and
all applications using it are obsolete as well. We - the lunar team - should not
take on maintaining such a burden or load. These modules take up a significant
amount of moonbase at no use at all.

I encourage everyone to take a close look at the attached lists (they overlap
for large parts of course) and engage discussion on this issue.

Also, this is _not_ the time to whine about xmms being the best audio player.
Those who disagree with me please hold your comments, this discussion is about
keeping our small project livable.

what *is* the discussion then? Here's some answers we should see:

1) more removals that fall in the same category or new categories
2) regular cleanups of moonbase
3) limiting the size of moonbase going forward
4) identifying _must_have_ modules that may not be deleted (again, only valid
long-term arguments please).
5) preventive bitrot maintenance and testing (yearly compile tests for every module)

Cheers,

Auke