Module submission - avr

Christian Riggenbach criggenbach at magahugu.net
Wed Jun 13 18:08:59 CEST 2007

Am Dienstag, 12. Juni 2007 15.05:24 schrieb Dennis Veatch:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 03:01:26 am criggenbach at magahugu.net wrote:
> > Zitat von "Kok, Auke" <sofar at foo-projects.org>:

> > > what is the reason for submitting these packages? It appears to me that
> > > the functionality of these packages really should be merged in binutils
> > > and gcc itself instead.... or is that not going to happen?
> > >
> > > Auke
> >
> > hi
> >
> > these modules are not for x86 or any other pc-platform. they are for
> > the AVR-microcontroller! so they should not be aplied to gcc or
> > binutils, because normal users need not to compile code for
> > microprocessors.
> >
> > AVR - website: http://atmel.com/products/avr/
> >
> > AVRs are in opinion the best 8bit uC ever, so i create a module to
> > keep track of my versions of the toolchain on my HD. when i noticed
> > that there are geda and pcb modules around, i thinked that somebody
> > could have interest in uCs and submited these modules. so it is with
> > "kontrollerlab", which is a IDE for this toolchain and the progammer.
> >

> > greets
> >
> > Christian Riggenbach
>
> The question is not about what they are for, that's understood. The concern
> for a starter is your patch for what you call "avr-binutils". If you look
> at the download url note it is from the same repository as the binutils
> currently in moonbase (version 2.16.1) and your patch grabs version 2.17.
> Your patch as is simply calls it another name. It also looks like applying
> that patch will cause some intermingling with the currently installed
> binutils.
>
> Some cursory research raises some more questions. Your patches seem to be
> missing, um patches specifically needed for the avr in the area of
> binutils, libc, kernel, uboot, uclibc, gcc. So it appears to me what your
> really asking for is a crosscompile environment. Correct?

yes, it is a crosscompiling toolchain.

but there are no patches to add, you just have to add "--target=avr" to the
binutils and the gcc. avr-libc is a dedicated libc especialy for AVRs.

there aren't anywhere conflicts!

on my pc, these modules run good and they have, like other crosscompiling
toolchains also, a prefix ("avr-"). they are, suggested by Dennis, located
at /opt/lunar/avr with a avr.rc script in /etc/profile.d to
add "/opt/lunar/avr/bin" to the path.

ulibc, uboot or a kernel are not needed, because this microcontrollers have
between 1kB to 256kB flash :)

about the intermingling: i think you mean the renaming from binutils-* to
avr-binutils-* (equal to gcc-* to avr-gcc-*). it's just eyecandy to keep
track of your sources in /usr/src. i can drop this, because the build is in
booth modules located in avr-{gcc,binutils}-*/obj-avr/

greets

Christian Riggenbach