ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Richard Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Wed Jul 18 18:23:21 CEST 2007

The 8.38.6 driver appears to work with Xorg 7.2 on my ATI Mobility Radeon
X1400 (Dell Inspiron 9400) with only a couple of caveats. It even
correctly detects my 1440x900 wide screen.

First, it will NOT work if you set any text screen mode at boot time
(vga=xxx in lilo.conf). This only took three days of tearing out hair and
searching the internet to discover.

Second, the module needs to install the utility programs, especially
aticonfig. It might not hurt to even run aticonfig --initial as part of
the install.

Also, it has a dependency on libGL, so you might want to make mesa-lib a
required dependency.

--Richard