kernel update problem

Patrik Gräser hittis at lunar-linux.org
Thu Jul 12 14:47:59 CEST 2007

Moritz Heiber skrev:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:30:37 +0200
> Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl> wrote:
>

>> 2.6.22.1 only fixes one little error in netfilter in network part of
>> kernel. It has nothing to do with hard drives. Load the kernel
>> configuration from 2.6.22 using kernel menu. If you did not save
>> kernel configuration to a file in kernel menu when you were
>> configuring 2.6.22 you can try to load it
>> from /usr/src/linux-2.6.22/.config
>>

> Just to make sure: He's been using .20 before .. not .22. So he cannot
> use a .22 configuration.
>
> I'd say your missing SATA driver is due to the kernel driver
> reorganisation which happened a few kernel releases ago. A way of
> fixing it might be to reconfigure your kernel from scratch.
I think you're right Moe.

This happened for me too when upgrading and it was indeed due to the
driver reorganization after 2.6.20.
What might happen is that the drive is recognized as an IDE disk due to
a compatibility mode in the hardware. If the correct driver is used it
gets correctly recognized as an SATA drive and assigned as /dev/sd[n]

//Patrik "Hittis" Gräser