kernel update problem

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu Jul 12 10:30:37 CEST 2007

Thursday 12 of July 2007 06:40:17 Richard Pyne wrote:
> I got a new Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop on Friday and proceeded to install
> Lunar-Linux. Everything went fine until I did a lunar update. The 2.6.20
> kernel properly recognises the SATA drive and assigns it as /dev/sda. The
> 2.6.22.1 kernel only sees it as an ide drive and assigns it to /dev/hda.
>
> I was able to work through the boot problems by booting with a root=
> paramater and then editing fstab and lilo.conf, but with the ide driver,
> disk access it noticeably slower.
>
> Any hints on how to get it to work right again will be appreciated.
>
> --Richard

2.6.22.1 only fixes one little error in netfilter in network part of kernel.
It has nothing to do with hard drives. Load the kernel configuration from
2.6.22 using kernel menu. If you did not save kernel configuration to a file
in kernel menu when you were configuring 2.6.22 you can try to load it
from /usr/src/linux-2.6.22/.config

zbiggy