1.6.1-rc2 released for x86_64 and i686 - "Moose Drool"

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Jan 15 06:09:28 CET 2007

Terry Chan wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 06:29:37PM -0800, Auke Kok wrote:
>> Terry Chan wrote:

>>> I just tried it in a regular x86 32bit env. and you can compile up a static
>>> grub by merely changing the BUILD script to use:
>>>
>>>   export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -static"    &&
>>>   export LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -static"  &&
>>>
>>> and removing the unset CFLAGS a little lower in the build script.
>>>
>>> This results in a statically linked grub binary that after stripping is
>>> around 759616 bytes.
>> of course, there's no way to do this on a x86_64 box that does not have multilib support!
>>
>> Auke
>
> And yes, its called a STATICALLy linked binary for a reason. Notice I said on
> an x86 32bit env. So you create your statically linked grub tarball on a 32 bit
> lunar box and move the tarball over to your x86_64 box for inclusion in your iso.

but how does one upgrade his grub-static-x64_32 on a x86_64 box? one would have to
download a binary package from somewhere, putting the burden of maintenance back on us
for keeping the package updated.

All things that are putting a burden on us. I'd rather see if we can't get multilib
working and solve the problem that way, which would kill 2 problems at once, without
starting to do all sorts of heretic things like providing true binary packages.

 > You include some source tarballs and some pre-compiled tarballs on the iso, so
 > one more won't hurt too much....

well, yes, but all of those can be compiled straight from moonbase. Without those you
couldn't even boot. A static grub is a completely different contraption.

Auke