Module submission - XOrg7

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Jan 9 03:15:20 CET 2007

> parhaps it's better to have an 'xorg-tools' package that it can optionally
> depend on? I find these packages very useful myself too but others might
> not need (e.g.) xterm
>
> Auke

This would be an artificial module. It's better to rethink the dependency list
I sent instead:

xhost - standard ACL security setup tool for X in my opinion is required
dependency due to security reasons (like xauth). This is weak hardening tool
but is classic and better than none. We should not save disk space on
limiting security tools because it can do more hurt than good in the future.
Especially for servers with remote X clients.

xvinfo - OK. Do not have to be dependency.

# startkde from KDE returns error after quit when xprop is not present
xprop - I think this dependency should be moved to kdebase dependency list
because this module installs startkde script which complains about missing
xprop (xprop is launched two times by startkde script). I do not know if any
other app/script uses xprop.

> xterm was originally in the profile... someone removed it... i can
> agree on the xprop but xterm isn't required by any other module
> gr,S.

xterm - launched by default install of x.org by xinitrc script. We could
provide modified xinitrc script to not scary lunar newbies with errors about
missing xterm. For me it is not necessary.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski