fglrx (was hosed by lunar update)

Richard Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Fri Dec 28 18:17:54 CET 2007

On 28 Dec 2007 at 3:52, Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:

> Thursday 27 of December 2007 19:09:09 Jeff Kirsher wrote:
> > I have tried the fglrx in
> > the moonbase, and it does not compile on 2.6.23.12, yet if I run the
> > installer downloaded from ATI/AMD site, it installs just fine.
>
> The old fglrx driver in moonbase was not ready for 2.6.23 kernels. You
> encountered our protection against bad install.
>
> Here in attachment most recent, updated fglrx module. Just unpack it to zlocal
> and lin. Before lining do lvu info fglrx to check if it is recognized by
> Lunar:
> General Module Info
>   Name:          fglrx
>   Website:       http://ati.amd.com/
>   Lunar Version: 8.443.1
>   Last Updated:  20071228
>   Section:       zlocal
>
> BTW: If you use KDE, in K->Tools menu you will find AMD Catalyst Control
> Center.
>
> If you find this module fully working please bump it to moonbase because I
> have no access.
>
> zbiggy

The install worked fine. There are a couple of issues.

1) permissions on amdcccle (AMD Catalyst Control Center) need to allow
user execution. As it is, only root can execute it.

2) The maximum resolution supported is 1280 x 720, making my 1440 x 900
digital screen look crappy. It appears to have clobbered my previous
screen settings (and I have forgotten where they are stored).

--Richard