successful update XOrg7.1

Bernd Kosmahl beko at duke.famkos.net
Thu Sep 7 09:39:46 UTC 2006

hej lunar-fellows,
want XOrg7.1? Go ahead :-)

First of all you should read about How to install XOrg7 here:
http://wiki.lunar-linux.org/index.php/Install_XOrg7

I followed the upgrading instructions like that:

lrm XOrg
mv /etc/X11 /etc/X11.old
rm -fr /usr/X11R6
rm /usr/X11
rm /usr/include/X11
rm /usr/lib/X11
rm /usr/include/GL

Now I fetched the the 7.1 patch from the development tree here
http://merlin.ugent.be/lunar/xorg7.1.tar.gz and unpacked the content to
zlocal ending up with $MOONBASE/zlocal/xorg-7.1/* making sure that
zlocal overrides is flagged in the lunar options.

Next step is quite easy and beside a screwed up SGMLSpm install
(relinned it) preventing fontconfig from successful compile everything
went very neat and smoth:

lin XOrg7

..and suddenly my screen was filled with green stuff. XOrg7 is somewhat
modular and it was awesome just looking how neat the modules fit
together and the xserver made itself ready. The install asked me if I'm
going to use a nvidia card - which I indeed have - so I expected the
best fixing myself some food and leave my box occupied with
compiling :)

At the end I added the two suggested symlinks to prevent older modules
with hardcoded paths from breaking.

/usr/X11 -> $MODULE_PREFIX; /usr by default
/usr/X11R6 -> $MODULE_PREFIX; /usr by default

I placed my old xorg.conf in /etc, relinned NVIDIA and the new xserver
started without any problems.

Additional I linned imake and xmodmap. imake is needed at least by
kdebase3 and without kdeuser will not be able to get their kdebuild
through. xmodmap I need for my Cherry Cymotion keyboard hotkeys.

Next I relinned qt3 and all this kdestuff I'm using. qt3 still wants to
install the old XOrg so it needs to be reconfigured by doing

lin -cr qt3
lin -c $kdestuff

BTW: I was afraid that a new version might brake some old stuff like my
beloved game "Jagged Alliance 2", which already caused me a lot of
headaches with the old x-version, but so far I experienced no further
problems. Same for openttd and ut2003 ;-)

Nice job and thanks for the modules!
--
Bernd "beko" Kosmahl
beko (a-nospam-t) duke.famkos.net