SourceForge mirrors

Duncan Gibson duncan at thermal.esa.int
Mon May 15 10:27:06 UTC 2006

I had some problems trying to update libpng, tcl and tk at the weekend
because the download from osdn.dl.sourceforge.net, my default SourceForge
mirror, failed. After advice from #lunar, I've now changed it to one a
little closer to home and less problematic.

While looking for the mirrors, I found http://find-mirror.sourceforge.net
which provides a utility for working out round trip times for a list of
mirrors. In a twist of supreme irony I couldn't download it this morning
because the closest mirrors were not available either :-(

I offer this for interest only: YMMV, but I'm not sure it's reliable. The
'ping' and 'connect' methods return 9999.99 (failed to connect) as the round
trip time for all mirrors, but that's might be down to the firewall. The
'echo' method does return round trip times (and OSDN is second on the list.

BTW: The 'connect' and 'echo' methods only seem to give results when I also
use the --debug option.

Cheers
Duncan / engelsman