[1.6.0 ISO][patch] charmap not defined when loading console font (update)

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu May 4 16:47:35 UTC 2006

> >> I do not want to maintain a list of available charmaps, it would be
> >> outdated quickly and increase maintenance work.
> >>
> >> Auke
> >
> > These ISOs were created about year 1985 and are always the same. They
> > will be replaced by one ISO 10646 (known as unicode) someday in the
> > future. The iso charsets can not be changed. If any goverment need to
> > change anything in iso charset it must create iso with another number or
> > name (and look for agreemnet in  ISO organization). That is why nothing
> > interesting happens in isos above number 09 (only small changes with
> > particular characters).
>
> is this information installed by the module that installs these charmaps? I
> do not want to add a list if there already is one installed by the
> module...
>
> Auke

I do not know. This information is 'home made' compilation of facts I know.
I have checked this information with few www pages to make sure it is
flawless. The charmap files are installed by console-data module.

There is some info inside console-data source tarball (doc/fonts dir) but it
is not so rich as mine.

I do not know how you are going to design language menu but instead of adding
another menu with iso selection a one language menu could be designed with
language profile per language. In such way Mandrake/Mandriva is designed.

Such profile file could contain predefined values (example for Polish):
--- cut here ---
#!/bin/bash
export LANG="pl_PL"
loadkeys pl
consolechars -f lat2-sun16
consolechars -m iso02
--- cut here ---

These are best and constant values:
pl_PL makes  programs autotranslated to Polish
loadkeys pl allows writting in Polish
lat2-sun16 is the only font which gives Polish characters and VT100
semigraphics (e.g. frames in midnight commander) at once.
iso02 is the only codepage which makes Polish characters active and visible on
screen.

Such configuration is in Mandrake/Mandriva and any other distro.

After selecting Polish language in menu the profile could be installed by
copying LOCALE.pl from CD disc to /etc/LOCALE on hdd.

greetings,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski