Scribus version question

Terry Chan tpchan at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 18:57:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 07:21:42PM +0200, Couannette wrote:
> Jannis a écrit :
> > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:53:38 -0500, Terry Chan wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know why scribus is at the developer release series
> >> (1.3.x) instead of using the stable release series (1.2.x) ?
> >
> > Probably because of this:
> >
> >   "The rationale is that there will be substantial core code changes in
> >    the next 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 releases, so the team has branched 1.3.3 to
> >    provide a stable usable development version."
> >
> > I can't exactly say how usable and feature-rich 1.2.5 is as I always
> > used the most recent development versions and never had any problems
> > with them.
> >
> >> scribus-1.2.5 is clearly labelled as the CURRENT Stable release
> >> 20060716.
> >>
> >> Stop the developer madness of using 1.3.3.2 !!!
> >
> > My suggestion is to move the current scribus module to zbeta and create
> > a copy for 1.2.5. Any objections?
> >
> > - Jannis
> >
> No
>
> apparently the term/word "stable" is no more related to even numbers in
> Scribus version 1.3.
>
> Version 1.2.5 is very old and won't offer proper functionalities/stability.
>
> We should check if version 1.3.3.2 is "stable" enough by gathering
> sufficient reports about it and keep with that version until an 1.4
> ships out.
>
> To quote them :
> _
> This release is purely a bug fix release to the recently released 1.3.3.
> The rationale is that there will be substantial core code changes in the
> next 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 releases, so the team has branched 1.3.3 to provide
> a stable usable development version.
> _
>
> Any objection ?
>
> Couannette

No, you don't know how to read. 1.2.5 is RELEASED 20060716. It is the STABLE
branch.  All the 1.3.x and 1.3.x.x releases are DEVELOPMENT releases.

http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=121

Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of Scribus 1.2.5

The Scribus team urges all users and distros to use this latest stable release.
The 1.2.5 release is focused on enhancements, bugfixes and additional documentation.

Move the current scribus model to zbeta and call it scribus-dev.  Change the
regular scribus module to scribus-1.2.5.  Dev releases do NOT belong in regular
moonbase, unless there is some overwhelming need.  1.3.x.x is NOT stable.

Terry Chan