glibc/xorg and CFLAGS

Jan Eidtmann cmak at lunar-linux.org
Sun Feb 5 18:59:30 UTC 2006

hi all,

we unset CFLAGS in glibc but i found that it will work just fine
without unsetting it.

my (pretty aggressive?) optimizations:

PLATFORM=x86
BUILD=i686-pc-linux-gnu
CPU=Pentium4
BOPT=Fastest
XTRA=( MMX SSE SSE2 )
SPD=(  )
FPM=SSE
CC_OPTS=( ccpipe cxxpipe )
LDF=( Strip Optimize Combreloc )
ADDON=( CCache )
MAKES=2
STACK=

i built everything (including glibc) with this just fine and have no
problems. my question: (i know it must be there for a reason but) why
do we unset CFLAGS in glibc?

there is however one module that doesnt like my optimizations: XOrg
(6.8.2). pretty unstable! it crashes sometimes by just opening apps or
clicking somewhere inside some windows (nautilus). so i choosed save
optimizations for XOrg and i have no more such crashes.

so...waht i found is (for my box)...glibc doesnt need unsetting CFLAGS,
but we do that, and XOrg does need unsetting too aggressive flags, but
we dont do that.

also...glibc isnt PSAFE here. since we have HT, there are different SMP
systems (real- and "fake"(HT)-SMP). with HT glibc is not PSAFE!!!
it fails without setting "PSAFE=no" everytime! *pain*

i think we shouldnt unset CFLAGS in glibc but instead we should make
sure that everything will build fine IF the user choosed to enable
"save optimizations" (what are save optimizations if they aint save
for glibc? not really save..). and IF the user choosed advanced
optimizations...use it for ALL modules.

cmak