[1.6.0 ISO][patch] fix for bashrc

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat Apr 22 21:11:50 UTC 2006

> Zbigniew Luszpinski a ?crit :

> >>nack,
> >>
> >>this should be a local addition (system administrator set) and not done
> >> by the distribution (imagine background scripts running in utf or other
> >> output, hosing all terminals and logfiles).
> >>
> >>Auke
> >
> > This could be reason for leaving it as is, but consider this:
> > * There is no info about such need of setting manually
> > * Most people will choose iso charset which is safe for lunar scripts
> > * KDE is affected (look at first point, it took me some time to learn
> > about manual setting of bashrc to fix KDE console window)
> > * scripts with non English output show unreadable text
> >
> > I discovered this accidentaly. I have everywhere Polish characters except
> > KDE console window. Removing LANG= or patching with this patch cured the
> > problem. Most compiled programs are auto translated according to LANG so
> > not only scripts are affected.
>
> You can set your LANG in the X session script or in your bash profile,
> maybe.

The best fix I found was to remove LANG= from /etc/bashrc (or setting it to
correct value). When opening console window KDE looks at /etc/bashrc only.
Such behaviour I noticed in KDE 3.4 when I was fighting with on screen bad
charactes.

> > If there is uft problem, the iso can be displayed/set only during install
> > process. Maybe it would be better to remove LANG= line from bashrc?
>
> I agree with Auke: batch scripts should not be impacted by such settings.
> Keep those files (bashrc,...) as slim as possible.

So the best thing is to remove LANG= from scripts leaving only one in
bootmisc.

> Couannette

greetings,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski