[1.6.0 ISO][patch] fix for bashrc

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu Apr 20 23:48:11 UTC 2006

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:02:24 +0200, Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl>
wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > The /etc/bashrc sets the LANG to nothing. This patch fixes this.
> >
> > greets,
> > Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski
>
> nack,
>
> this should be a local addition (system administrator set) and not done by
> the distribution (imagine background scripts running in utf or other
> output, hosing all terminals and logfiles).
>
> Auke

This could be reason for leaving it as is, but consider this:
* There is no info about such need of setting manually
* Most people will choose iso charset which is safe for lunar scripts
* KDE is affected (look at first point, it took me some time to learn about
manual setting of bashrc to fix KDE console window)
* scripts with non English output show unreadable text

I discovered this accidentaly. I have everywhere Polish characters except KDE
console window. Removing LANG= or patching with this patch cured the problem.
Most compiled programs are auto translated according to LANG so not only
scripts are affected.

If there is uft problem, the iso can be displayed/set only during install
process. Maybe it would be better to remove LANG= line from bashrc?

I use iso02 and do not have any problems with text input/output in lunar
scripts and programs.