Where should people ask Lunar related questions?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon Sep 26 21:19:02 UTC 2005

Duncan Gibson wrote:

>Where should people ask Lunar related questions?
>    - on the mailing list ?
>    - on the forum(s) ?
>    - on IRC ?

I've replied onthe forum and for completeness I'll repeat it here, I
hope this catches the idea best and explains why we use all three
methods and provide them to you!

Auke

>From my forum post:
====
Okay, this is indeed a hard question to answer so let me try to descibe
the situation a bit:

first, lunar is a relatively small community and that makes it hard for
us to monitor and reply on a quick basis to certain requests. This also
is a problem for us ourselves (us developers) so we obviously have a
preferred method of communicating.

Currently this is IRC. The reason is simple: it's the fastes way to
connect and contact other developers and discuss issues, and it's also
fun and builds contacts fast.

So, if you really want to have a fast answer to your question, IRC is
the obvious answer. However!

As you can imagine we might be asleep, or doing homework, or even
working at the time you drop in on IRC. Just ask your question and wait
- nothing wrong with that. If this doesn't help you, you can always fall
back and ask on the mailinglist or the forum.

The forum has the benefit that it's instantly accessible and searcheable
on the internet. You can reply quickly and store the entire discussion
for later. This helps especially users amongst themselves with small
problems.

However, when things are a problem - you should always file a bugreport
and mail to the mailinglist. Developers have a tendency not to follow
the forums because after a while the amount of posts is so large, and
they have no real way of sifting through the endless discussions to spot
the places where their assistance is really needed.

So this is why we have the mailinglist: short to-the-point messages
reporting problems, or otherwise important discussions that really need
to be archived for later.

In all cases: you can ALWAYS mail the mailinglists. The forum is for
those who love it, and IRC is for those nuts who can't wait to help or
be helped.

so, all of the above!
====