non-free vs. free packages

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Oct 17 21:52:35 UTC 2005

> Hello all,
>
> One way to handle the free vs. non-free is to separate (a la a few
> distributions) the non-free from the free into dispirate downloads.
> e.g. have a moonbase-nonfree where modules such as nvidia_driver,
> j2sdk, etc. can go. You can also add warnings to these packages that
> tell a user they need to go do a few jigs around a maypole before they
> can use it and to not forget the sacrificial chicken.
>
> The best way, I've found, is to keep the non-free as separate from the
> free as possible and to even setup guidelines to define what 'free'
> and 'non-free' mean to you as a group.
>
> -sandalle

IMHO:
Do we really need non-free packages in moonbase?
Modules are mainly designed to provide information how to build source
packages. Non-free packages are usually binary and have their own binary
setup/installer/configurator - installation is done usually by running
installer which performs all needed operations automaticaly. So do not find
the need for existence of such modules in moonbase. There are so many cool
opensource modules that are outside moonbase which are much more worth
including than easy to install binaries.

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski