Flash plugin, fast analyze

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Nov 9 13:58:45 UTC 2005

> Dear community,
>
> as a matter of fact Macromedia just changed the version of their
> "beloved" flash player from 7.0.25.0 to 7.0.61.0 while still calling it
> the 7.0.25.0 release (we noticed that as we ran the checksums).

I Kompared both both versions to see what is going on.
flashplayer-installer grown by 3 lines. Little not important bugfix: if
directory is writable new version displays "valid" word. And that's all.
libflashplayer.so grown about 400 bytes.
readme.html and readme.txt:
Version 7.0.25.0 -> 7.0.61.0
May 2004 -> November 2005
line ending char LF -> CRLF
(it looks they opened previous texts in windows, changed dates and version
numbers, saved - and windows auto converted LF to CRLF silently)

If I will find some time, try check what these additional ~ 400 bytes do.

> Now, since that could either be a new release or a security breach I've
> asked at their forums to confirm either of the situation and the
> answer's still pending.
>
> What makes me suspicious is that the release was neither announced nor
> has the url been changed that is pointing to the tarball.

This 'lunar' tarbal is not downloadable via macromedia site:
http://www.macromedia.com/ -> Downloads -> Get Flash Player
-> Download Now. They still offer old version.

lunar uses different link so we have access to software not yet available for
others (cool!):

lunar link:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/flash/english/linux/7.0r25/install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

sha1sum:
c9d53efa89beb052cc989d481bf617bcb6ff30d2 install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

macromedia official link:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/flash/english/linux/7.0r25/install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

sha1sum:
ae252d5b7b421d2f617f5b9ebb7acea210ecc37c install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz